In this Blog, we are going to discuss Addon Domains which is a fully functional domain. You can create it by using Addon Domains feature in cPanel. For that, it is necessary to assign a domain to your account.
Using this domain you can host a completely new website in a folder on your account so that you will be able to host several domains from one control panel. You can assign an email account, forwarder, and more the same as a primary domain to your Addon domain account.
Once an Addon Domain is created then it will automatically create a folder is in public_html directory, a subdomain is created for a primary domain which gets attached to a new folder and a new domain name is associated with the subdomain.
Addon Domain will only work if the domain is registered and pointed to the server.
If you have purchased a domain or if you already have a domain that you want to host as an addon domain then it is important to point your domain to the server.
After assigning an Addon domain, you will be able to access the same directory and the same website.
For creating add-on Domain, select Addon Domains option under Domains section; you will see following window and following options :
- Create An Addon domain
- Modify Addon Domain
Let’s discuss each of these options in detail:
- Create An Addon Domain: –
- New Domain Name:- In the given text box enter the new domain name.
- Subdomain:- When you select this option a subdomain automatically gets created.
- Document Root: – A folder gets created automatically under the public_html directory by the same domain name which you have entered in the New Domain Name text box.
- If you want to create an FTP account with this Addon Domain then you can select the checkbox.
- Click “Addon Domain”.
Create an FTP account associated with this Addon Domain: –
When you select this feature, the following options will pop up :
Let’s discuss them in detail:
- FTP Username:- You will see that cPanel will automatically display the FTP Username. If you want another username then you enter the new name manually.
- Password : – Enter a strong password here.
- Password (Again): – Confirm the password.
- Click “Add Domain”.
- Modify Addon Domain : –
This feature is used for modifying the Addon Domain, Document Root, Subdomain, Redirects to. Let’s see how to modify each of these options one by one.
- Modifying Document Root:-
- Select the Addon Domain whose document root you want to modify.
- Then select the document Root which you want to edit.
- Click the edit icon and enter the new document path in the given text box.
- Then Click “Change”.
- Changing Redirections:-
- Select manage Redirection.
- Enter the new path to which you wish to redirect the addon domain.
- Click “Save”
- If you want to disable the Redirection, then select “Disable Redirection”.
- Remove an Addon:-
- For removing an Addon Domain, select the particular addon domain which you wish to remove.
- Click ” Remove”.
- Click “Yes”.
Visit – Hostripples